NYEP partners with Qualified Youth Volunteer Sites to provide structured volunteer experiences for the youth we provide residential programming to.
NYEP’s goal is to schedule each youth resident for 40-50 hours of constructive programming weekly. Thus, a resident could have several volunteer jobs, depending on availability and travel time. Residents are told of NYEP’s requirement to volunteer prior to entering the housing program.
Volunteer service is an important part of NYEP’s teaching program for several reasons. Being of service raises our residents’ self-esteem, builds their confidence, creates an interest in our program, and gives them a sense of “getting a life”.
Benefits of volunteering for youth:
- Teaches job skills
- Connects youth with knowledgeable adults
- Helps youth discover their interests and talents
- Connects youth with their community
- Puts the youth in a position to be considered for employment
- Helps the youth build a resume and obtain letters of reference from professionals
How do Qualified Sites benefit from youth volunteers?
- Sites are provided with mature, competent volunteers who are passionate and willing to learn
- Site supervisors know when to expect NYEP youth volunteers
- Site supervisors have the support and backup of NYEP staff who will help correct problem behaviors
- Site supervisors will receive reports on the volunteer’s experience at the site
How to become a Qualified Site?
We invite your organization to join our tradition of providing a lifelong family of support and opportunities by becoming a Qualified Site for youth volunteers.
Youth Volunteer Engagement Meet and Greets are held every other month to provide an opportunity for new partnerships.
Call NYEP today! 747-2073